TEXT: 1 Corinthians 2:9-16, 1 John 4:7-13
MEMORY VERSE: John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you
WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT: He is the third person in Trinity. The Bible refers to the Holy Spirit as God. He has feelings, emotions and will. John 16:13-14, hence a person, not a force or things as some belief holds.
How do we know that the Holy Spirit is a person? We know this by the characteristics or attributes.
- The Holy Spirit thinks and knows. 1 Corinthians 2:10
- The Holy Spirit can be grieved. Ephesians 4:30
- The Holy Spirit intercedes for us. Romans 8:26-27
- The Holy Spirit is our comforter and counsellor. John 14:16, 26. John 15:26.
- The Holy Spirit makes decisions according to His will. 1 Corinthians 12:7-11.
- The Holy Spirit can be sinned against. Isaiah 63:10
- He can be lied to.Acts5:3
- We are to Honour Him. Psalm 51:11
- We are to obey Him. Acts 10:19-21
- The Holy Spirit empowers God’s people. Zechariah 4:6
- The Holy Spirit guides us. Romans 8:14
- He was involved during the creation. Genesis 1:2
- He teaches us. John 16:13.
- The Holy Spirit is Omniscient. 1 Corinthians 2:10-11.
- He is Omnipresent. Psalm 139:7
- He is eternal. Hebrew 9:14
- The Holy Spirit leads us. Luke 4:1.
How can the Holy Spirit help us to love?
- The Holy Spirit helps us to love our enemies. Luke 6:27-28
- The Holy Spirit helps us to love the sinner while we hate the sin. See the case of Mary Magdalene.
- The Holy Spirit helps us to speak the truth in love. Proverbs 15:1
- He helps us to speak with maturity and wisdom. Acts 25, 26.
- He keeps us away from anger.
- The Holy Spirit helps us to do the impossible. Matthew 22:37-39.
- The Holy Spirit produces love. Galatians 5:22. The rest of the qualities describe the first (Love). This love (Agape) helps us to love someone who mistreats us.
SCRIPTURES TO CONSIDER:
Luke 4:18-19, Acts 10:38, 2 Corinthians 3:17, 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14, Romans 13:8-10, Rev 22:17, Matt 27:37,
PRAYER POINT: OH LORD, MELT US TOGETHER IN ONE LOVE BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, IN THE NAME OF JESUS.